Saturday, June 18, 2011

Boat Project Continued

~ Paper Boat ~

If you have been following the progress of the boat project at hutch, we last left off waiting for a sail for the little old wooden boat I repainted.  Well when the sail arrived, attached to the boat and placed in the room it was enormous.  Almost reaching the ceiling and blocking a great deal of light into the room it just wasn't going to work in the space.  A second plan of a wooden rocker crib shaped like a boat didn't work either.  What do I turn to in an emergency......CARDBOARD!  I began to pull out any big old boxes I could find, fired up the trusty glue gun and began to cut.




I have to say I never built a boat before.  As a child I was more of a car guy, but being from Rhode Island "The Ocean State" where there are more boats than cars, and helping my grandfather every 4 years refinish the boat that never left his yard gave me an advantage visualizing this task.  Here is the bottom with ribs attached.


 Next I began to cut strips and attaching them to the sides.  This is when the boat really started to take shape.


Adding small details at the bow and stern was a little bit of a nod to movie director Tim Burton who always has had a thing for the spiral.  Also the boat would be zigging and zagging without a sturdy rudder.


Slapping a fresh coat of paint on the cardboard brought the vessel to life.  Trimming in aqua and red and of course drenching it in a bath of coffee completed the basic boat.  What's left you ask?  I think I'll add some words to the aqua trim, float it over a paper sea, and make tattered sails to catch the hutch winds.

20 comments:

  1. I love it Chris. So grateful for your gramps to have helped with some insight to the building of a boat. Just goes to show....you never know when all that past data will come in handy. Lucky for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing. Once you got the paint on the boat was completely transformed from the plain cardboard to a work of art. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! LOVE it! It is magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely project.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in composing this article. I am going for the same best work from you in the future as well.

    payment protection insurance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you are so talented! When I see cardboard boxes I think of is storing my junk! lol

    Maybe one day I will follow your steps and 'think outside the box' :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how big is it? is it as big as the table or just as long?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the creativity! We are attempting to make one similar for my son's 4th birthday (shark theme. Unpainted) I just had to comment and say I love the stand for the glue gun. Totally doing that. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply amazing! So going to try! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. Canal Boat Painter

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work See This Helpful Information

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excelente estimado amigo, estamos construyendo con mi hijo una maqueta de una barco. Gracias por estas ideas. Lima - Peru

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to make this boat do you have directions or dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a photographer and want to make one of these for a child/newborn prop in my studio. Recently I made a cardboard helicopter by looking a picture of how someone constructed one. I would like more details on size, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.

    boggy Creek Airboats

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you admin for sharing such an informative blog in front of us.If you want to protect your seats in your car, truck or van then you can do it so easily by putting cover on it.Here is our website to provide a best seat covers to you.
    Boat carpet in Oshawa Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is exactly why it is actually better which you can related exploration well before delivering. It will be possible to publish bigger report using this method. Niihau island tours

    ReplyDelete


  18. Thank you for sharing your blog with us. I really like your post.

    Car seat covers Oshawa Ontario

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...